Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Optional Workouts?

I've always got a kick out of the term "optional" workout. An optional workout, would lead you to believe that, as an athlete, you have a choice as to whether or not you want to attend that workout or practice. But who are we kidding? There's no such thing as "optional", not if you want to be an upstanding member of the team. And I'm not just talking about professional sports. The NCAA provides for "optional" workouts. And, anyone who has ever played high school sports, football in particular, knows all about the "optional" practices and workouts designated by the coaches. (By the way, while you physically can't see me do it, evertime I say the word "optional", I am putting my fingers in the air and making the quotations sign)

Let's be real here. If a player doesn't show up for the "optional" workouts, chances are pretty good he's not going to make the team, or at least won't see any playing time. So, let's call it what it really is. REQUIRED!

No comments: